RCV Revised 2020-21 State Budget Submission
Regional Cities Victoria has released its revised submission to the 2020-21 state budget, which is focused on policies and targeted initiatives that will support their communities through both the response and recovery phases of the COVID-19 crisis.
RCV has identified five key areas that are critical to aiding the recovery of regional economies:
IMPROVING INFRASTRUCTURE DELIVERY
- $7.5 million to implement the Small Business Better Approvals program across planning and building approvals.
- $2 million per annum for the expansion and continuation of the Streamlining for Growth Program and implementation of PSP 2.0.
- A low-cost loan scheme, similar to the successful Community Sports Infrastructure Loans Scheme, to finance enabling infrastructure for regional housing developments, and business and employment precincts.
- Additional direct investment by State Government in housing stock, with some funds specifically allocated to regional municipalities.
- Support to implement affordable housing provision through planning schemes, including enabling fast track planning processes.
- Commitment of additional rental assistance to Registered Housing Providers, so that the private sector can fund, build and own, and then lease to RHPs to manage.
Further investment of $100 million in digital and telecommunications infrastructure through the Connecting Regional Communities Program, including:
- Free Wi-Fi in all regional cities
- Free Wi-Fi on all regional trains.
- Continued roll-out of the Mobile Blackspot Program across regional and rural Victoria.
- Consultation with RCV councils on the location of recycling and resource recovery infrastructure in regional Victoria; and
- Consultation with local governments in relation to the use of the Municipal and Industrial Landfill Levy to ensure stronger sustainability outcomes for local communities.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT FINANCING
- Support the RCV business case with a $2 million commitment to establish the proposed Treasury Shared Service model.
Download a copy of the revised RCV’s 2020-21 State Budget Submission here.